New Year Resolutions

“And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.”
[2 Corinthians 3:18

Did you make a New Year's resolution? It's the time of year we look at ourselves and plan for the coming 365 days. The think is, resolutions, transformation, and change are hard. This shouldn't be any kind of revelation or epiphany. I mean, we all go through changes in life. Sometimes changes are pushed upon us and other times we decide ourselves to begin those changes. Regardless of the impetus, change is hard.

My doctoral advisor, Alan, talks about our default behaviors and ways of seeing the world. Changing those defaults and developing a new behavior or outlook is so terribly hard because of the ruts we make for ourselves. I know it's that way for me. I came into this new year with the resolution to be more mindful about how I live and the activities that fill my life. I really want to be more intentional about serving God and doing the things that God wants me to do. Sitting here on the 8th day of January I can feel myself being pulled back into the hectic practices that have formed my days.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm doing too much. I do feel like my energy could be better spent to forward God's mission in the world.

I think what we all have to recognize is that this isn't something we can do on our own. Did you read how that passage from Corinthians if framed? "We are being transformed". It's not about how we change ourselves through our willpower or a program or anything like that. Change calls for us to open ourselves to the transformative power of God. This doesn't mean that God will somehow magically make my existence more Zen-like. I have to do some work if I want to change, but true transformation requires me to align myself through prayer and meditation with God's agency. I must have faith that God is working in the world and, even though I stumble, having the strength and courage to keep trying to be a part of that mission.

shalom, David 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worship and Sacrifice

Where now?

Life's challenges