Where now?

Brothers and Sisters-This has been a busy but productive week. We had our first session meeting of the year, the annual report is printed and ready for distribution this coming Sunday at the congregational meeting, and I got some writing done on my dissertation. Busy but productive.

I discussed my intentions for the coming year with the session and I wanted to share this with you. First, we watched this video about Appreciative Inquiry and talked a little bit about the process. I invite you follow the above link to watch the same material. The video is an overview of the process I would like us to start.

I explained to the session that we aren't walking in the dark and would be using Mark Lau Branson's book, Memories, Hopes, and Conversations as a guide in this process. Mark's book describes his experience with AI and the second edition includes several examples of churches that have used the process in their context. I know Mark through Zoom conversation and he and my doctoral adviser are close friends so I hope that he could serve as an additional resource in this process.

Finally, I am in the process of applying for a pilot grant through the presbytery.  Five congregations will be chosen in Presbytery of Wabash Valley and I think we are well situated to be considered for this resource. This is a grant for coaching and I hope to receive the grant and enlist a coach to help guide us through the process of Appreciative Inquiry. A coach in this instance is a person who helps us identify the resources we need to help us move ahead on a plan.

There is a Scripture passage (Esther 4:14) which mentions God's work to bring things together, "for a time such as this". I believe that APC is in a spot where the available resources have come together perfectly to help the congregation more fully engage with God's mission. God has invited us to be a part of that mission and I think AI provides a way for us to better discern God's nudge.

I know this is a lot of information and some of the practices are new ones. We aren't going to jump into this and we aren't going to be done in a month. This is a long process that we're going to enter into, but I hope we can enter with an attitude of excitement and expectation. I know God's word does not return empty and we are bearing fruit of the Spirit.

I you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch and we can have coffee or something.

shalom, David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worship and Sacrifice

We've always done it that way

New Year Resolutions